- Terrifying TalesThis series features nine stories of spine-tingling suspense. It is exciting reading for (brave) 8- to 12-year-olds. Read these tales of terror – if you dare!
- Children From Around the WorldJoin us on this exciting journey around the world, while we celebrate different heritages, including our own South African Heritage Day on 24 September.
- Little Girls, Big DreamsIn honour of Women’s Month, we celebrate and discover the lives of outstanding women, from designers and artists to scientists and activists.
- Madiba’s favourite folktalesThis collection of Madiba’s favourites is certain to entertain and delight our readers, as well as give insight into the countries from which the tales have been sourced.
- Animal storiesThis fantastic collection of stories about animals of all shapes and sizes will charm children aged 6 and up. From pet puppies to woodland wildlife, garden birds to pond-dwelling frogs, Enid Blyton was a devoted and knowledgeable animal-lover.
- Once Upon Our PlanetWe bring together a dozen original stories set in some of the last true wildernesses in the world, from the Arctic to the Amazon – to throw the spotlight on 12 unique environments under pressure from climate change.
- Great novelsExplore the finest novels from around the world, from medieval adventure to modern classics. Find out what inspired writers, what their aims were, and how they set about writing their masterpieces.
- A Series of Impossible QuestionsThe impossible questions in this series will help you explore life, the the universe and everything in it – and the best time to do this (as every scientist knows) is at bedtime!
- Fairy Tales of The Brothers GrimmMalevolent and dark, the fairy tales collected by the Brothers Grimm are not for the faint-hearted, but they will delight children and adults alike with their mixture of magic and mystery.
- The Secret Life of TreesCrawl into the forest and discover the magic and mystery of trees. Did you know that they send underground messages? Have you heard how they take care of their families? Come and discover the secret life of trees with us!
- The Noel SeriesThis collection captures the spirit of the season in a few short tales, bringing together favourite stories, extracts from classic literature and lively retellings of traditional legends. This is the perfect collection for the whole family to share and feel the magic of Christmas.
- Adventures from the land of dinosaurs
Welcome to the prehistoric world, where we will be exploring ancient life and the fossils it leaves behind. From prehistoric goo to dinosaurs, and our most recent extinct ancestors, everything about ancient life is fascinating.
- Spooky StoriesTurn on your torches and join us in our first charmingly spooky mystery in our spine tingling series filled with cliff-hanging, suspense and thrilling short stories that will leave you sitting on the edge of your seat.
- Animal sidekicksHave you heard about the fish that cleans the shark’s teeth? Or the frog that’s roomies with the tarantula? How about the crabs that wear urchins as hats? Welcome to the weird world of symbiosis – a place where animal and plants form incredible relationships!
- Tales of ancient worldsThere’s nothing better than exploring the ancient past. Our history is a never-ending fountain of incredible tales, brilliant adventures and fantastically glorious people.
- Value talesWhen trying to impart an important moral lesson to children, short stories are often the go-to for most parents. It not only tickles their imagination, but it also teaches them about life.
- Enid Blyton storiesPrepare to be spellbound by these short stories from the world’s favourite storyteller. From cheeky pixies with singing saucepans to puzzling spells and enchanted lemonade, there’s bound to be trouble in this bewitching collection by Enid Blyton.
- Adventure stories
We have a whole host of fascinating tales for you and your children to share with one another before it’s time to visit the land of nod. We have carefully selected our stories, picking only those that have been read and loved by children for many years.
- Stories from around the worldTraditional tales often take on a life of their own, traveling the world and finding new interpretations within the cultures they encounter. This collection of stories, brings together several tales from different traditions.
- Girls who grew up to change the worldThis fun and inspiring collection of influential stories tells the tales of strong, independent girls who grew up to make a profound impact on the world.
- Boys who grew up to change the world
When it comes to making this world a better place, we can learn a thing or two from our children. That’s why we’ve compiled a reading series of some of the most influential young trailblazers across the world.
- Classic fairy tales
This month, our staff are sharing their favourite classic fairy tales and the reasons why they’re their favourites. These fairy tales are have been told and retold through generations and have stood the test of time.
- ShakespeareWe can’t have a Reading Room without including extracted stories from William Shakespeare’s plays. Shakespeare was an English playwright, poet and actor, widely regarded as the greatest writer in the English language and the world’s greatest dramatist.
- Greek mythologyGreek mythology is the body of myths originally told by the ancient Greeks. Myths are stories created to teach people about something important and meaningful. We hope you enjoy the myths we shared with you, while you were also adding to your general knowledge.
- African tales
We thought we’d share some of our favourite African Tales for you to enjoy – young and old. These tales have been extracted from “When Lion Could Fly and Other Tales from Africa”.