Overview of the Online Amended Senior Certificate
It is never too late to pass Matric as an adult.
Think Digital Academy offers an online South African Amended Senior Certificate (ASC) which is equivalent to the nationally recognised National Senior Certificate (NSC/Matric). Certification is issued by Umalusi.
The content is the same as what Grade 12 students in traditional schools complete. Think Digital Academy offers a full set of exams as a mock matric, two months before the final exams, to prepare students for the official exams. Only six subjects are required (Life Orientation is not required).
Adults that qualify to write the 2020 Senior Certificate (amended) examination may register at any provincial education office (which includes the provincial head office, the district office or a circuit office) or register online on www.eservices.gov.za.
- Exam registration opens in October
- Online registration opens in October
- Exam registrations close in January
- Exams are written in June/July
- Rewrites are written in November
Exam registration fees are not included in the Think Digital fee. Exams are written only once a year. Students may register for any number of subjects per exam sitting and, can complete all their subjects in a single sitting or over a period of time. The exams are set by the Department of Education.
Adult students who are 21 years and older who:
- Have a General Education and Training Certificate (GETC); or
- Have a Grade 9 school report (or the old standard seven), stating that they have passed Grade 9 or Standard 7; or
- Have a recognised equivalent qualification obtained at NQF level which requires two official languages.
- Are adult students who are 21 years and older with an incomplete Senior Certificate qualification.
- Are adult students who are 21 years and older with an incomplete National Senior Certificate and whose School-Based Assessment (SBA) validity has expired.
- Are 21 years and older with an incomplete NSC and whose School-Based Assessment component has not yet expired may choose to complete the NSC by registering in January for the 2020 NSC examinations to be written in November, or convert to the Senior Certificate. Should the candidate choose to convert to the Senior Certificate, they may not revert to the NSC and attempt to complete the NSC qualification.
- Only in exceptional cases, out of school youth, who are 18-21 years old and who could not complete their school education due to circumstances beyond their control, as verified by the Head of Department in the Provincial Education Department.
To achieve an Amended Senior Certificate, students must obtain the following results in the exams:
- Pass three subjects at 40%, one of which must be an official language at Home Language level.
- Pass two subjects at 30%, one of which must be an official language at First Additional or Home Language level.
- Obtain a minimum of 20% on the sixth subject.
Students who have previously passed their Senior Certificate subjects at Higher and Standard Grade levels, can obtain credits for those subjects.
- A Higher Grade pass is set at 40%
- A Standard Grade pass is set at 33.3%
CAPS available in both English and Afrikaans
Home Language (English, Afrikaans)
First Additional Language (English, Afrikaans)